Monday, May 9, 2016

Sweet Potatoe ...

I had bought 2 organic sweet potatoes ...
On April 16 I was going to try growing them ...
experimenting ... cutting one in half and leaving the other one whole ...
The process for growing these are so different than regular potatoes ...
Toothpicks were put into the potatoes ...
for support as they were lowered into a mason jar with water ...
Within 5 days ... there were little white roots sprouting ...
It wasn't long before two of the jars were full of roots ...
one of them seemed to be growing slower ...
Upon research ... one end (the root of the potatoe) of the sweet potatoe ...
will grow quicker than the stem end ...
In about a week ... there were little buds shooting out of the potatoes ...
Another week passed by and those shoots had grown a lot ...
It was May 7th when I took the pictures of the slips ...
It will take another week before the slips are large enough ...
to be removed from the potatoes ...
and placed in a jar once again for the slips to grow roots ...
The first jar is with the stem side up ... second jar is the whole sweet potatoe ...
and the third jar has the root end up ...
I have them in my kitchen window ...
and each morning I am surprised at how much they have grown ...

 

1 comment:

  1. Live and learn... never saw anything like it . Good luck !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to view my blog.